Changing Sex on Immigration Documents

Questions and Answers for Changing Sex on Immigration Documents

This article will address questions and answers for changing your sex on Immigration documents. This is intended for you to better understand what can ensue when you are changing your sex and are also in the process of applying for an Immigration application. If you feel unclear or confused as how to start the process of changing your sex on these immigration documents, this article will help answer some of those questions you may have. Additionally, this article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to any immigration matters regarding changing your sex on Immigration documents.

Is it necessary to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) of my sex change

It is necessary to advise IRCC of your sex change only in certain circumstances. For instance, if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you do not need to notify IRCC of your sex change. For Canadian citizens, it is advisable to make sure that all of your government documents reflect this information. For permanent residents, if you have changed your sex, it can possibly result in delays if you travel. Specifically, if you intend on travelling by air in the future, it is very important that your permanent resident card and passport reflects your sex change; they must match. Furthermore, for temporary residents of Canada, such as visitors, students and workers, you must inform IRCC of your sex change. If any information has changed, specifically your sex changes, and it does not reflect on your permit or visa, then you must apply for a new one. Keep in mind, the sex on your visa or permit must match the sex on your foreign passport.

How do I start the process of changing my sex on my Immigration documents

Before discussing the process of changing your sex on your Immigration documents, it is important to recognize that the government of Canada does not currently have the X (unspecified) option to choose from on their Immigration documents. They only have the male or female sex options. However, they are in the process of implementing the X (unspecified) option but it has not yet been determined when this will be introduced. Until then, there is a possibility to apply for supporting Immigration documentation to state that your sex should be X (unspecified).

Now, to address the process of changing your sex on your Immigration documents, I will first discuss temporary residents, then permanent residents and Canadian citizens. If you are currently in Canada on a work permit, study permit or a visitor visa/eTA, you will have to first start by changing the sex on your foreign passport. Once you have successfully changed the sex on your passport, you may proceed to apply for a new permit/visa with your new sex. If you are currently a permanent resident of Canada, you will need to apply for a new PR card. Of course, in order to prove your sex change, you will have to submit supporting documentation as evidence. If you are currently applying for Canadian citizenship, you will need to provide supporting documentation to prove your sex change. If you have already received Canadian citizenship, you may apply for a new citizenship certificate and provide the supporting documentation as evidence of your sex change. Additionally, if you have a Canadian passport, you can apply for a new passport with your new sex.

What supporting documents may I submit to prove my sex change

As previously mentioned, if you are changing your sex, you will need to provide supporting documentation as evidence that you have successfully changed your sex in order to change your sex on Immigration documents. Documents that you may submit as supporting documents are:

  • A valid court order
  • A valid legal order issued by a Canadian vital statistics organized with the updated sex
  • An amended birth certificate with the new sex
  • A change of sex request form

Additionally, you may also submit your driver’s license or health card, however, they do not count as official documents.

Is it possible for me to apply to change my name at the same time as my change of sex application

Yes, it is possible for you to apply to change your name at the same time as your change of sex application. When going through the application process, you should refer to the application guide for detailed instructions on how to proceed with also changing your name. Luckily, you may change them both at the same time.

Does changing my sex on Immigration documents alter the decision on my citizenship application

Canada is a country that values equality and respects all genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations. Therefore, by changing your sex on Immigration documents, this will not alter the decision on your citizenship application. In other words, it has no effect on the decision process.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about any immigration matters with regards to changing your sex on Immigration documents, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients successfully change their sex on their Immigration documents. If you would like to change your sex on your Immigration documents, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • October 3, 2023

    Understanding the Validity of Post-Graduation Work Permits

      Embarking on a journey of higher education is not merely about acquiring knowledge; it's also an investment in one's future. For international students in Canada, this investment often comes with the added benefit of being eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This permit serves as a [...]

  • October 2, 2023

    Credential assessment in Canada: how Akrami & Associates can assist you

      Embarking on a journey to Canada, whether as a skilled worker, student, or professional, is a significant milestone in one's life. The allure of this vast and diverse country, known for its quality of life, educational institutions, and career opportunities, has drawn people from all corners of [...]

  • September 25, 2023

    Canada’s demand for Skilled Workers: the new Express Entry priorities

    As businesses across the country actively seek to fill numerous job vacancies, immigration has become a pivotal solution to address this issue. Recognizing this reality, the Canadian government is actively developing an immigration system designed to act as an economic engine. This strategic approach not only strengthens French-speaking [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way