Conjugal Sponsorship Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers for Conjugal Sponsorship

In this article, I will address questions and answers for Conjugal sponsorship in order for you to further understand what a Conjugal sponsorship entails. A Conjugal sponsorship is intended for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who wish to sponsor their Conjugal partner to come to Canada and receive permanent residency. It was created to give Canadian citizens and permanent residents an opportunity to finally be united with their conjugal partners. The Canadian government believes that individuals live a better life when they are united with their families and reinforce family reunification. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a Conjugal sponsorship, I suggest you read our article on “How Can I Sponsor my Conjugal Partner” before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to a Conjugal sponsorship.

Q: How long am I financially responsible for my conjugal partner?

A: The time frame in which you are financially responsible for your conjugal partner is referred to as the length of undertaking. This length of undertaking begins on the day that your conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident of Canada. There are several factors that determine the length of undertaking. Such factors include the age of the sponsored conjugal partner, the relationship to you, and where you live. Keep in mind, if you live in Quebec, the length of undertaking is quite different compared to other areas of Canada. For a conjugal sponsorship, the length of undertaking is 3 years.

Q: If my financial circumstances change, am I still financially responsible for my conjugal partner?

A: Yes, unfortunately, even if your financial circumstances change, you will still be held responsible for your conjugal partner and their financial needs. Please note that you are required to be financially responsible even if your relationship with your conjugal partner changes. For instance, if you and your conjugal partner separate, you are still held responsible. You are also required to be financially responsible even if your conjugal partner becomes a Canadian citizen; your financial circumstances get worse; and even if you have withdrawn the application after the conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident.

Q: How old does my conjugal partner have to be in order for me to sponsor them?

A: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) had decided as of June 10, 2015 that they will refuse applications for conjugal partners that are under the age of 18 years old. Therefore, going forward, all conjugal partners must be at least 18 years old when applying for conjugal sponsorship in Canada.

Q: If I am sponsoring my conjugal partner from within Canada, are they able to work while the application is being processed?

A: It is entirely possible for your conjugal partner to work in Canada while Immigration processes their application. However, it is important to note that they must have a valid work permit prior to working in Canada. Unlike the spouse or common-law sponsorship application, a conjugal sponsorship application does not guarantee an open-work permit while the conjugal partner is in Canada. They will have to proceed with the general provisions for a work permit and get a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

Q: How can I prove my relationship with my conjugal partner? Especially since we are so far from each other?

A: A conjugal sponsorship is a unique type of family class sponsorship. The reason being is because your conjugal partner is living outside of Canada and although they may have a binding relationship with you, due to specific circumstances, you are unable to live with each other. However, even though you may not be able to live with one another, you still must prove that your relationship is genuine and real and that you’ve been together for a minimum of one year. In order to prove your relationship is real and genuine to Immigration, there are certain requirements that you must consider and show. You must have combined documents together, such as joint property ownership, joint bills, etc. You must also prove to Immigration that cohabitation was not at all possible during your relationship. Most importantly, you must show evidence that the reasons for your separation were out of your control. In many circumstances, cohabitation is not possible because of war and persecution. Therefore, if there are any documents or information that you can provide to Immigration that demonstrates these hardships, it is recommended that you submit them. They will aid your application and prove that living with your partner was impossible.

Q: Due to our distance, am I able to marry my conjugal partner via proxy, telephone, or the internet?

Unfortunately, IRCC does not recognize these marriages in any circumstance. They are extremely specific with marriages and what is recognized. If one partner or both were not physically present during the marriage ceremony, then IRCC will not recognize the marriage.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a Conjugal sponsorship, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients gain permanent residence through a Conjugal sponsorship and they are now happily living in Canada with their conjugal partner. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Conjugal sponsorship, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way