Criminal Record and Application for Citizenship

Posted in Criminal Rehabilitation

A permanent resident is a person who has been given lawful permission to permanently live in Canada, but who is not yet a Canadian citizen.

If you have a criminal record, your application for Canadian citizenship can be denied, delayed or put on hold. It is very important to know the following:

  1. When to file the application for PR or citizenship when you have been convicted of an offense
  2. What documents you need to show you are now rehabilitated and a good standing individual
  3. What other applications must you file such as TRP, Pardon, Criminal Rehabilitation etc

Can I Become a Citizenship If I have Criminal Record?

Being convicted of an offense is a serious matter. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) may decide to start removal proceedings for the purpose of removing your permanent residence status and deporting you from Canada. Even if you have been landed for many years or since childhood, your residency status may be taken away and you can be deported. So ensuring you file the proper paper work in time is essential.

Sometimes criminal convictions from many years ago are brought to the attention of Immigration Canada years after the crime was committed. Even in such a situation, where the criminal record is old, Immigration Canada may still take away the person's permanent residence status and deport them. Taking care of it right away will avoid this.

What do you do if you receive a letter from CIC stating that your application for Permanent Residence Status is being denied because of your criminal record?

This is a very important question. If this has happened to you we need to immediately inform CIC that you are in the process to having your criminal record removed immediately. In addition, we might also need to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation and/or Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

If I was charged but the charges were dropped, will that affect my immigration application?

It possible can. If you have been accused and charged with a crime and you were fingerprinted in Canada, or you attended at a Canadian criminal court, you do have a criminal record. Even if you were found not guilty, once you have been accused and charged with a criminal offence, a record does exist. To fix this, you will need complete paperwork to have your record destroyed or sealed. Unless you do something about it, it will not go away by itself. Because of this, unless it is properly taken care of, your immigration process can be negatively affected.

Your Work Permit or any other status document can be taken away from you

If you were granted a status document such as work permit, visitor visa, Study Permit etc before you were charged with a criminal offence, your status document may be taken away from you. It is also very likely that you will be issued a removal order. So taken care of it as soon as it happens and knowing your legal rights is very important here.

Also check our site dedicated for Denied Entry to Canada and Criminal Rehabilitation

Tags: Record Suspensions (Pardon) Criminal Rehabilitation Denied entry to Canada Canadian Temporary Residence Canadian Immigration Criminal Record and Application for Citizenship

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our immigration specialists will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our immigration specialist will contact you. Click here

  • Reviews

    Reception was very nice and was sure to answer the questions he could but made sure I was taken care of by a rep at the firm. Shabnam was extremely helpful and I will be calling again when I am ready to proceed.

    Salvatore M. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    We have used Akrami & Associates for all of our immigration needs. They have never let us down and we couldn’t be happier. They took care of us from start to finish with little effort on our part. An excellent group of legal professionals.

    Michael W. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    I got my visitors visa thanks to Shabnam. I just want to thank her and all the team for her hard work. They all did a very good job.

    Lucy A. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Shabnam, I wanted to personally thank you for all your hard work and dedication to me and my wife. Our new lives together are all thanks to you. Considering the unique circumstances that initially prevented her, I had lost hope. I will make sure that if anyone I know needs immigration help, I will be sending them your way. Again, I can’t thank you enough.

    Frank T. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Akrami & Associates was extremely professional and the most efficient legal team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing. They responded to my emails quickly, never missed a phone call and explained the process to me in such a way that anyone could understand, even me. Thanks to them, I was able to hire the workers my business needed mush sooner than I had ever expected. You can’t go wrong with them.

    Fahim S. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star
  • Reviews

    Fantastic news, I entered Canada without a hitch. Once the guard at the border saw the package you had prepared for me, he took about ten minutes and handed me my permit. What I relief! I don’t know why I ever tried this without you guys! Thank you!

    Paul R. Rating StarRating StarRating StarRating StarRating Star