Family Class Residency Requirements for Sponsors

Residency Requirements

In assessing residency requirements for sponsorship purposes a sponsor must maintain a significant connection to Canada.

Officers Will Consider Whether You:

  • Maintained a residence in Canada,
  • Have spouse and/or children resident in Canada,
  • Has assets in Canada,
  • Paid Canadian income tax on global income,
  • Visited Canada regularly,
  • Maintained investments, bank accounts, health insurance or club memberships in Canada.

Sponsors May Be Found Ineligible to Sponsor if:

  • They maintained residences in two countries at the same time,
  • They have a house in Canada, but work abroad,
  • They have interrupted their residence in Canada or spend little time in Canada. Foreign stamps or post marks on the envelope, a foreign employer or the sponsor’s non-Canadian address are indications the sponsor may not be residing in Canada,
  • There is evidence that they will leave Canada soon after the sponsored applicant becomes a permanent resident, Sponsors must satisfy an officer they will continue to reside in Canada after the member of the family class becomes a permanent resident,
  • Sponsors are not ineligible if they take short holidays or business trips outside Canada.

The Following Applies to Canadian Citizens Living Abroad:

  • Canadian citizens who reside abroad may sponsor only their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or a dependent child who does not have dependent children of their own,
  • Must submit sponsorship application package and fees to the CPC-M in Canada and not to the visa office,
  • Canadian citizens who are tourists in a foreign country, even for extended periods, are still residents of Canada,
  • Canadian citizens who are long-term workers or students in another country are generally considered residents of that country,
  • Sponsors must provide evidence that they will reside in Canada after the sponsored persons and their family members become permanent residents.

Evidence That Sponsors Will Reside in Canada May Include One or More of the Following:

  • Letter from an employer,
  • Letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution,
  • Proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada

 Contact Us

For further information with respect to your Canadian immigration, we invite you to contact our experienced immigration representatives. 

Latest Immigrations News

  • December 3, 2013

    Family Class Sponsorship

    The Family Class Sponsorship application is available if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living in Canada, and you want to sponsor close family members living abroad, including: Spousal Sponsorship: If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen, you are eligible [...]

  • December 2, 2013

    Family Class Sponsorship Calculating Required Income

    The total number of persons determines the amount of income required to sponsor and determines which LICO to use. Sponsors should count: Themselves, and any family members to whom they provide support, The persons they are now sponsoring, including all family members of the sponsored person, whether these [...]

  • December 2, 2013

    Family Class Sponsorship The Financial Test

    The financial test is needed to prove that sponsors can support their relatives for the period of the undertaking. Sponsors in Quebec are subject to that province's financial criteria. Sponsors must show they have the minimum necessary income (LICO) to support the sponsored persons as well as their [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way