Family Class Sponsorship In Canada: What Are Included Here?

Is it becoming painful to stay alone in Canada? Are you missing your family? Apply for family class sponsorship and bring your near and dear ones to your place.

Ensure that you are a permanent Canadian resident and are eligible to sponsor your close family members living abroad. Failing to do so will cause rejection of your sponsorship application. So, whom can you bring to your Canada residence- spouse, parents, dependent children, or others? What if you can bring everyone? 

Let’s explore the different family class sponsorship programs which can shorten the distance between you and your family members.      

Spousal sponsorship

Spousal immigration is a crucial part of Canadian immigration. Depending on your eligibility, your spouse or partner can become permanent residents of Canada. To sponsor your spouse, you must be able to:

  • Ensure that they don’t need social assistance from the government
  • Support them financially

Additionally, if you have a spouse who is a permanent resident of Canada, he/she is eligible to sponsor your immigration to Canada. Terms and conditions are applicable though. This program is only useful for those candidates who cannot qualify under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) or the Federal Skilled Worker.

Wondering whether you are eligible to sponsor? Well, if you meet the following criteria, you can sponsor your spouse:

  • You are 18 years old or above.
  • A permanent resident of Canada.
  • You are not receiving any assistance from the government other than a disability.
  • You can offer basic needs to your spouses, which include housing, food, clothing, medical expenses, and others.  

Common law sponsorship

A common-law partner is an individual who shares a conjugal relationship with another individual. This person can be either of the same sex or the opposite sex. The common-law partnership must present evidence of cohabitation in a conjugal relationship.

To sponsor your common-law partner to become a permanent resident of Canada, a common-law partner should be:

  • At least 18 years of age.
  • Not legally married.
  • Of opposite-sex or same-sex.
  • Someone who has spent temporary/short time apart.
  • Someone who has been living with the partner for at least one year.
  • Someone who you share a conjugal relationship with.

Conjugal partner sponsorship

A conjugal relationship highlights that individuals are interdependent- socially, financially, physically, and emotionally- when they share household responsibilities and others, and when they possess a serious commitment to one another.

To note whether two individuals are in a conjugal relationship, ensure the following:

  • They have a shared shelter.
  • They possess behavior such as fidelity, feelings towards each other, and commitment.
  • They have societal perception as a couple.

To qualify as a conjugal partner, an individual must be:

  • At least 18 years of age.
  • A permanent resident of Canada.
  • A sponsoring member of the family class.
  • Having an agreement with the conjugal partner.
  • Agreeing to provide basic requirements of the conjugal partner.

Parental sponsorship

Are you missing your parents? As a permanent resident of Canada and 18 years old, you are likely to sponsor your parents to come to Canada. If their permanent resident status is approved, they can live and work in the country.

As a parental sponsor, you must be aware of certain things. For instance, when you are sponsoring your parents or grandparents, you must be competent to support them financially. You must also be able to provide them with social assistance without any help from the government.

To be a parental sponsor:

  • You must offer your parents financial support for 20 years, based on their age.
  • You and your sponsored parent must sign a sponsorship agreement that will highlight your financial assistance to the parents.

Dependent child sponsorship

A Canadian citizen has an option for sponsoring their dependent child. To sponsor, you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older.
  • A sponsoring member of the family class.
  • A permanent resident of the country.

You need to sign an undertaking or contract with the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship of Canada. You must be financially independent to take care of your dependent children. This also involves medical assistance not financed by public health such as dental and eye care.

Final words

To sponsor your spouse, parents, and other family members you must be a Canadian resident, at least 18 years of age, and competent to offer financial support to the sponsored individual. To assist you with sponsorship details, contact Akrami & Associates. We have dealt with numerous sponsorship applications. Contact us via or call us at (416) 477-2545 to submit your sponsorship application today!   

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way