FAQs for International Experience Canada

FAQ – International Experience Canada

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for International Experience Canada and some important information to consider when applying under this program. The International Experience Canada (IEC) program was intended for youth to be provided with the opportunity to work in Canada temporarily. Additionally, youth from designated countries that are between the ages of 18 and 35 may be eligible for IEC work permits. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply under the IEC program, I suggest you read our article on “What is the Youth Mobility Program” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to International Experience Canada.

Q: Are there specific jobs that I can work for in Canada under the IEC program?

A: Not necessarily. Under the IEC program, you are able to work in a variety of different areas. However, this entirely depends on what job you intend on working and how determined you are to find a job. Most common jobs that youth tend to work for are in the tourism and hospitality industries, such as working for restaurants, hotels, etc. In these jobs, the employers are often more willing to offer temporary employment for temporary periods of time. However, it is important to note that if you have the appropriate skills and experience, you may also pursue jobs in fields such as law, health, education, etc.

Q: Is it essential to submit a valid job offer when I submit my IEC profile?

A: Submitting a valid job offer with your profile entirely depends on the category you are applying for under the IEC program. For instance, if you apply in the Working Holiday category, you are not required to submit a valid job offer with your profile. Whereas, if you apply in the Young Professionals or International Co-op (Internship) categories, then you will require a valid job offer when submitting your profile. Keep in mind, the valid job offer must be either for a job, a work placement or an internship.

Q: Is it possible to submit my IEC profile before turning 18 years old?

A: Unfortunately, no. In order to participate in the IEC program, you must be at least 18 years old on the date you submit your profile.

Q: What if I’m almost too old to apply for IEC. Can I still apply?

A: Fortunately, yes, you can still apply and submit your profile to an IEC pool. Additionally, your profile will be kept in this pool until your birthday, IEC removes all profiles from the pool or your profile has been within the pool for 1 year. Another benefit is that if IEC invites you to apply before your birthday, this means that you have successfully passed the eligibility requirements with regards to age for the IEC program.

Q: Once I participate in the IEC program, am I a permanent resident of Canada?

A: Participating in the IEC program does not automatically give you permanent residency in Canada. If you would like to live in Canada and obtain permanent residency, then you must apply for permanent residency respectively. There are many programs in Canada that lead to permanent residence; however, IEC is not one of them.

Q: Is it possible for someone to assist me with planning my trip to Canada or even finding a job for IEC?

A: Yes, it is possible for someone to assist you with planning your trip to Canada and even finding a job for IEC. You may contact a recognized organization, such as International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE), if you’d like help in technical career-related jobs, for instance. However, there are many other recognized organizations in Canada and they may offer support and advice. Keep in mind, in order to receive these services; there is a fee they charge. Therefore, it is important to contact the recognized organizations beforehand.

Q: Is there a difference between an IEC work permit and other work permits in Canada?

A: Yes, there is a difference between an IEC work permit and other work permits in Canada. To clarify, you may only receive an IEC work permit if you’re an eligible foreign youth; you have a profile within the IEC pool; and you have received an invitation to apply for an IEC work permit. Other work permits in Canada have different eligibility requirements in order to apply as well. However, there is a difference between the two.

Q: Does IEC provide any financial assistance for participants? Do they offer any other services?

A: IEC does not provide any financial assistance for participants. They do not provide any other services either. Of course, travelling to Canada and obtaining work in Canada is a very exciting prospect. Therefore, it is essential to plan your travels beforehand and make sure you are financially able to provide for your needs in Canada. Specifically, you are entirely responsible for your own travels to Canada, health insurance, application processing fees and much more while participating in the IEC program.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for the International Experience Canada program, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped our clients apply and participate in the International Experience Canada program. If you believe that you may be eligible for either, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way