FAQs for Moving to Canada from the U.S.

FAQ – Immigrating to Canada from the U.S.

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for individuals who would like to move to Canada from the U.S. as well as some important information you should consider if you are intending on moving to Canada. Immigrating to Canada from the U.S. is not as easy as driving across the border and bringing your things with you. If you feel as though you would be able to move to Canada, I suggest you read our article on “How to Move to Canada from the United States” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to moving to Canada from the U.S.

Q: Is it possible to just move to Canada?

A: This entirely depends on how you first enter Canada. For instance, as an American, you do not require a visa to enter Canada; you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). However, usually when you enter Canada, unless otherwise stated, your stay can be for up to six months. When entering Canada, though, the Immigration officer must be satisfied that you are a bona fide visitor and will exit the country at the end of the authorized stay. Therefore, as a visitor to Canada, you may not reside permanently in Canada. Additionally, you would not be able to work in Canada either, without proper authorization. Conclusively, you must then apply to immigrate permanently to Canada if you would like to reside in Canada for longer than six months.

Q: Can my criminal record prevent me from moving to Canada?

A: Your criminal record can definitely prevent you from moving to Canada. For instance, if you have a criminal conviction from several years or even decades ago, and you completely forget about it and the Immigration officer discovers it when you attempt to enter Canada, you can be deemed inadmissible to Canada. Therefore, if you would like to move to Canada, you must first ensure that you are not inadmissible to Canada by applying for the appropriate application, such as a Temporary Resident Permit or a Criminal Rehabilitation.

Q: Can my health condition prevent me from moving to Canada?

A: Your health condition may prevent you from moving to Canada depending on the severity of the health condition. Your health condition may make you medically inadmissible to Canada. If your health condition is assessed to be a threat or risk to Canadian society, for instance if you have a contagious disease or illness, then you may be deemed inadmissible and will not be permitted entry into Canada. Similar to criminal inadmissibility above, you will need to overcome your inadmissibility issues prior to coming to Canada to move.

Q: Am I able to bring my pets with me when I move to Canada?

A: This is a very common question. When immigrating to Canada permanently, the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) will have to determine whether your pet(s) meet the entry requirements for animals. If the pet(s) do meet the requirements, then they may move with you to Canada.

Q: Does Canada have a “Green Card”? If so, how can I get one?

A: Canada does have a similar document to a Green Card; however, it’s not called a Green Card, it’s called a Permanent Resident Card. This Permanent Resident Card is used as proof of permanent residency in Canada. The Green Card in the U.S. allows the holder of the card to enter and live in the United States freely. Similarly, the Permanent Resident Card in Canada allows the holder of the card to enter and live in Canada freely.

Q: Are there income tax consequences if I move to Canada from the U.S.?

A: Thankfully, there are no income tax consequences if you move to Canada from the U.S. Canada and the U.S. have a Tax Treaty that avoids double taxation for individuals and helps with fiscal evasion in terms of taxes on income and capital. Therefore, moving from the U.S. to Canada should not be very complicated and should be a fairly easy process with regards to filing taxes. The biggest difference between taxes in the U.S. and taxes in Canada is that U.S. taxes are based on citizenship, whereas Canada taxation is based on residency in Canada.

Q: Is there healthcare available for Americans in Canada?

A: Yes, there is healthcare available for Americans in Canada, depending on the status of the American. For instance, Canada offers public health care for its Canadian citizens, permanent residents and some temporary residents. However, when it comes to the administration of health care, the regulations are quite different in Canada compared to the United States. The health care system in Canada is actually formed from a variety of sub-systems run by provincial ministries of health and the federal government enforces the standards for health care across the country of Canada. Therefore, if you are an American and need health care in Canada, it is best to investigate what options are available to you, based on your status in Canada.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about moving to Canada from the U.S., it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients move to Canada either temporarily or permanently. If you believe that you may be eligible to move to Canada, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way