FAQs for Permanent Residency in Canada

FAQ – Permanent Residency in Canada

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers with regards to permanent residency in Canada and some important information to consider when applying for permanent reisdency. Permanent Residency applications are intended for foreign nationals who have lived in Canada for a required amount of time and wish to permanently live in Canada. There are several eligibility requirements that must be met in order to successfully obtain permanent residency in Canada. If you are a foreign national that has resided in Canada, meets the eligibility requirements and would like to apply for permanent residency in Canada, I suggest you read our article on “The Basics of Permanent Residency in Canada” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to permanent residency in Canada.

Q: My Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) certificate is on the verge of expiring. Is there a policy regarding the need to obtain a new PNP certificate prior to the expiry? Additionally, how long is a PNP valid for?

A: This is a very good and important question to ask as many foreign nationals are nominated by provinces and territories in Canada. With regards to the validity period of a PNP, this is entirely at the discretion of the nominating province or territory. Usually the expiry dates of a PNP certificate are indicated on the approval letter from the nominating province or territory. This approval letter is then submitted with the individual’s application for permanent residence (PR). The responsibility is in the hands of the applicant when they are submitting the appropriate application forms. It is important to note that PNP certificates must be valid when the applicant submits the application for permanent residency. If the PNP certificate expires before the applicant submits the PR application, the application will be returned and/or refused. If this is the case, the applicant must submit a new PR application and must re-apply to the appropriate province or territory and obtain an updated PNP certificate.

Q: Why was my brother’s permanent residency application refused? He met all of the eligibility requirements but he applied alone; does this affect the refusal?

A: Applying alone for permanent residency does not affect the outcome of a permanent residency application, whether refused or approved. With regards to the permanent residency application, it is very difficult to say why the application was refused without looking into the refusal letter sent by Immigration. Usually, there may be a number of reasons for a refusal of an application, such as insufficient documentation; educational credentials not being recognized in a Canadian standard; lack of language ability in either English and/or French; and many more. Therefore, it is best to consult with an Immigration professional at Akrami & Associates to review the refusal letter and determine what documents are needed to make the application stronger and possibly re-apply for permanent residency.

Q: Do I qualify for the Canadian Experience Class category? I came to Canada from France as an exchange student for my last year of university. Once I finished my undergraduate degree, I decided to pursue my Master’s Degree in a year-long program. Once I completed my MBA, I applied for a Post-graduate work permit and obtained an open work permit. I have been working at a Canadian company for approximately one year now.

A: From the information that you’ve provided, it does seem as though you qualify under the Canadian Experience Class category. The reasons for your qualifications are because you have obtained one year of Canadian work experience. However, it is important to note that in order to adequately qualify for the Canadian Experience Class category, you must have accumulated the one year of Canadian work experience in either a full-time position or the equivalent in part-time. In that case, if you worked part-time, you must have accumulated two years of Canadian work experience to qualify. Additionally, once you apply under the Canadian Experience Class, you will then be placed into a pool of candidates through the Express Entry selection system. Thus, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will then choose the highest qualified candidates to be invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada.

Q: Will there be issues for my mother to enter Canada if her permanent residency card has expired while abroad?

A: Unfortunately, there will be issues for your mother to return to Canada if her PR card has expired while abroad. She will not be allowed to return to Canada without proper authorization. It is important to note that a permanent resident of Canada cannot renew their permanent resident card from outside of Canada. Depending on how she will be returning to Canada, she will have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. For instance, if she is travelling to Canada via private vehicle, she will not need to apply for the PR travel document. However, if she is travelling to Canada via commercial vehicle, such as an airplane, bus, train, or boat, she will have to apply for the PR travel document. For more information on how to return to Canada with an expired PR card, please refer to our article “What to do if PR Card Expires While Outside of Canada.”

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear with regards to permanent residency in Canada, it is important to talk and ask any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped our clients apply for permanent residency in Canada and are now living happily in the country. If you believe that you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way