FAQs for Work Permits in Canada

FAQ – Work Permits in Canada

In this article, I will address a few popular questions and answers for work permits in Canada and some important information to consider if you are applying for a work permit application. A work permit application is intended for foreign nationals who would like to come to Canada to work and contribute to the Canadian economy. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a work permit, I suggest you read our article on “Work Permit Eligibility” before reading this question and answer article. The intention of this article is meant to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to work permits in Canada.

Q: Where do I submit my work permit application?

A: The destination of where an applicant submits their work permit application entirely depends on where they live and their nationality. The foreign national applicant applying for a work permit can either apply at a visa office that is responsible for their country of citizenship or at a country where they have legal status for a minimum of one year. It is important to note that individuals that do not require a visa to enter Canada may apply for most work permits at the port of entry. However, it is also advisable to investigate prior to applying at a port of entry, if the work permit you are applying for can be applied for at a port of entry. Luckily, in Canada, there are Immigration officers at every port of entry that can assess your Canadian work permit application.

Q: Are there any conditions that come along with my work permit?

A: Yes, there are conditions that apply for work permits. This is entirely dependent on what the immigration officer designates on the permit itself. For instance, you may have conditions pertaining to the type of work you are permitted to do in Canada; the employer you are authorized to work for; where you are permitted to work; and/or how long you may work in Canada. If you are unsure of what conditions may apply on your work permit, Regulation 185 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations lists all of the possible conditions that may apply on work permits in Canada. Please note that there are conditions that apply to all work permits. Even if they are not listed directly on the permit, you must ensure to not work for an employer in any business where there may be sexual exploitation of workers, specifically strip clubs, etc. Conclusively, you must also ensure that you leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay – this is a mandatory condition for work permits.

Q: On average, how long does it take to process a work permit application?

A: The processing times for work permits entirely depend on where you are applying from. The processing times are different for every country in the world. Therefore, it is advisable to check on the Government of Canada website to see what the processing times are for your specific country.

Q: Is it possible to extend my work permit from within Canada?

A: Yes, it is possible to extend your work permit from within Canada, so long as your current work permit is still valid when applying. You may extend your work permit if you and your employer sign a new employment contract and either your employer gets a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that indicates the employer is permitted to hire you, if your job requires an LMIA; or, your employer pays the employer compliance fee and submits a new employment offer through the Employer Portal, if your job is LMIA exempt or does not require a LMIA.

Q: If I have a work permit, am I allowed to travel outside of Canada and come back?

A: Technically, yes you are allowed to travel outside of Canada and come back if you have a work permit; however, a work permit is not a travel document. Therefore, a work permit does not necessarily give you the right to travel to Canada. So, you must provide a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), alongside your work permit. Keep in mind, even if you were to have a visa or an eTA, this does not guarantee your re-entry into Canada. You must prove and show the immigration officer that you, in fact, meet all of the requirements before they permit your re-entry.

Q: Can I remain in Canada if I have applied for a new work permit but my current work permit has expired?

A: Fortunately, yes, you may remain in Canada. If you have applied for an extension or a new work permit and your current work permit has already expired, then you would be on implied status. In Canada, this means that the law implies you are a temporary resident. As a result, you may be able to continue working. Please note that this implied status is valid until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) makes a decision on your extension or new permit application. However, you must abide by the original conditions on your work permit.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a work permit in Canada, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients obtain valid work permits in order to work in Canada and contribute to the Canadian economy. If you believe that you may be eligible for a Work permit, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way