How Can I Work In Canada Without a Work Permit While Studying in Canada

Working while Studying in Canada

You just received your study permit and are currently studying in Canada. Everything has happened according to your plan, but your desire to work in Canada is still pending. After studying in Canada, you start to have a desire to work in order to establish the feeling of independence and responsibility. Not only does having a job help satisfy those esteemed feelings, but also turns out to be a big help to you and your family, as the money earned can help pay for additional living, school, food, and transportation expenses. Are you someone who has the same desires to work in Canada? Are you an international student who’s study permit has just been approved and are now studying in Canada, but have a desire to work during your study period? Well, there is indeed a way for you to work in Canada, as we will discuss the basics of an off-campus work permit, the requirements and eligibilities for this permit, and the application process.

What is a study permit

Before applying for an off-campus work permit, one must obtain a study permit. A study permit is an official document allowing for the individual to work in Canada for a specified amount of time. To obtain such document, one will first need to meet the requirements needed, which are specified in our study permit blog found on our website listed below. Once you have received your own study permit and have settled into Canada to begin your designated program, you can now be eligible to work within the country using an off-campus work permit.

What is an off-campus work permit

An off-campus work permit is a document that allows you as an international student to work while studying abroad in Canada. Although there are a certain number of hours one must obey when working, they are still free to work while studying. The maximum number of hours a week, in which a student can work, is 20 hours while their full-time studies are in session. On holidays or seasonal breaks, international students are allowed to work full-time. Those, on the other hand, studying under intense programs, will not be permitted the listed breaks, therefore causing the individual to not be able to work full-time. If an international student breaks the work hour rules set by Canadian immigration officials, their study permit will be cancelled and they will not be eligible to apply for future permanent residency in Canada.

What are the requirements needed to work off-campus without a work permit

Surprisingly, as of June 1, 2018, any international students who have received their study permit can work in Canada without the need for a work permit. In order to qualify under this category, individuals will need to meet certain requirements. You will first need to, before anything, have a valid study permit. You will also need to be enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational, or professional training program as a full-time student at a DLI (Designated Learning Institution) or be enrolled in a secondary-level vocational training program, which is only offered in Quebec. The next requirement consists of you already starting your studies abroad in Canada. Once you begin your studies, you can begin to work as desired. A social insurance number (SIN), a program that allows you to obtain a degree within 6 months, and a study permit with labeled conditions stating your ability to work both on and off-campus are all also required for you to be eligible to work off-campus without a work permit. Regardless of the factors required to be eligible for off-campus work permit, there are also factors that can restrict one’s ability to work without a work permit, while on their study permit.

Who is ineligible to work under an off-campus work permit

Under the law, there are certain factors that can harm one’s chances of working without a work permit. These factors pertain in cases where the issued study permit mentions the inability for the individual to work both in and off campus, you do not meet the specific requirements asked for in the off-campus work permit application, taking only general interest courses, etc. if any of these cases apply to you, then the only way to work in Canada while studying would be through a valid work permit.

What if you are no longer a full-time student and want to work off-campus

For those certain individuals who are no longer full time students, there is still a way for you to apply for an off-campus work permit. One will first need to prove that they were once a full-time student when they entered Canada. Lastly, you need to state the reason for not being a full-time student. This reason must be because you are currently in the last semester of your program and did not have a full timetable of courses due to the fact that it was not required to complete the desired program. If these two requirements are met, you can now be eligible to apply for an off-campus work permit regardless of the fact that you are no longer a full-time student.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Throughout this blog, we have discussed what both a study permit and off-campus work permit are, what requirements are required of individuals planning to work in Canada without a work permit, and those who are ineligible under this category. Hopefully this blog was useful for those planning to begin their own work journey within Canada during their study period. Remember, immigration is no easy matter, especially with the growing rate of policies and rules implied on new travelers each year. With all these rapid changes in Canada’s immigration system, it is only expert advice to seek assistance with an immigration lawyer who is educated in Canada’s current immigration matters. Here at Akrami and Associates, our team of experiential lawyers and associates can help assist you through your personal and diverse immigration problems. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 416-477-2545, requesting a consultation so that you can also become apart of our team. Also do not forget to check out of Facebook page and website ( to become more informed on the upmost and current Canadian immigration matters.

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way