How to Prepare to Work in Canada

How Can I Work in Canada?

To work in Canada, you must have prepared the proper arrangements, and work to gather all the proper documentation. This can be a daunting process. There are several steps that you must take beforehand to secure all the necessary arrangements, and to gather all the documents you are required to provide. If you wish to work in Canada, it means you wish to live in Canada, whether for a temporary, or a permanent length of time. As such, Immigration officers must be able to analyze the applicant against Canadian standards, to verify they will be a useful addition to the Canadian economy. Ultimately, in this article, I will work to explain what needs to be done to prepare to work in Canada, and to prepare an application for a work permit successfully. I will specifically address how to get your credentials assessed accordingly, assess your language ability, find a job in Canada, and how to get a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

What Do I Need to Include in my Application?

First and foremost, you’ll need to include the things that would make up any job application, so that the Canadian government can confirm you are being honest in your application and properly applying for a work permit. This includes things such as work history, educational achievements and resume, as well as references from previous employers. These things work to show you will be an asset to the Canadian working economy, and that you’re a reliable, productive individual. Furthermore, you’ll have to submit an approved literacy test, which shows scores at a minimum level, depending on the program through which you are applying to work in Canada. Then, you will also have to submit proof that you are financially stable enough to support yourself during the time you are in Canada, along with the fact that you will have an income upon your arrival. Finally, you will have to show that you are medically and criminal admissible to Canada.

How Can I get my Foreign Educational Credentials Assessed?

Getting your credentials assessed can be both mandatory, and optional when applying to work in Canada. Regardless, it is important to know how it’s done. For example, if you are applying for permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Worker Program under Express Entry, you must have your foreign education assessed, and equated to a Canadian standard. Mostly, this helps employers understand your qualifications, as it would be difficult to keep track of standards from all over the worlds. Importantly, you are able to begin the education credential assessment process prior to your arrival in Canada. This process does come at a cost, and take some time though, so applicants should be aware of this if they wish to take an assessment.

Testing your Language Ability

In Canada English and French are the two official languages, and as such, individuals must know one of the two to successfully emerge in the Canadian working economy. As a result, it is mandatory for applicants to prove their English or French abilities are up to par with society, to successfully be permitted to enter the country as a worker.

Unfortunately, if you are not able to speak or understand at least one of Canada’s official languages, this can be a problem. We highly recommended you take language classes or courses to improve your language ability. Or, on the other hand, if you are already at an advanced level for one of the country’s official languages, then you may consider learning the other, as this can improve your competitiveness as a job applicant.

There are some nationally recognized literacy tests foreign nationals can do to prepare their application to immigrate to Canada. Applicants must take a nationally recognized test for the results to be valid in the application.

There are 3 nationally recognized English language tests and certificates:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

There are also 2 nationally recognized French language tests and certificates which are:

  • Test D’evaluation de Francais (TEF)
  • Diplome D’etudes en Langue Francaise (DELF)

Find a Job in Canada

Before coming to Canada to work, you must have a valid job offer, as mentioned. For information and help with looking for a job, you could contact an immigrant-serving organization that assists individuals with job search sessions, resume workshops and offers more services to help new immigrants adjust to life in Canada. Then, once you have prepared yourself top apply for jobs in Canada; you could visit certain job websites that can help you find a job as well! It is important to know there is Job Back Canada – the Canadian governments job posting site, and many, many more private sites in Canada.

Getting a Social Insurance Number

This is a requirement which is often overlooked by individuals. Though, you must obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) issued by the government of Canada, before beginning to work in Canada. The SIN allows you to access government programs and public benefits.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you wish to work in Canada and you are an foreign national, we can help you with this process. Preparing for work in Canada may seem like a complicated process. Much like any other immigration matter, this process can become overwhelming if done alone; therefore, it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to start working in Canada. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients prepare for work in Canada and gain lawful employment. If you believe that you might be prepared or need further assistance, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way