How to Receive a Work Permit for your Occupation

There are many steps to follow before receiving a work permit. Before applying for a work permit the following aspects must be considered: eligibility for a work permit; Determine the requirements; Determine which category you come under i.e. student, caregiver, foreign workers etc; and how to apply.

After the application process is complete, the work is still not done. The next steps that needs to be taken after applying can be checking processing times; medical exams; or an interview with Citizenship and Immigration Canada officials.

There are many requirements to be eligible for the Live-in Caregiver program, in Canada. The requirements are:

  • A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada
  • A written contract with the future employer that is signed by both the employee and the employer
  • Achievement of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
  • Minimum of six months’ training or one year of full paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (Including six months with one employer) in the past 3 years.
  • A good knowledge of English and/or French

If you have an inadmissibility issue then you might not qualify for a work permit. A number of things can make a person inadmissible such as, involvement in a criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime. Inadmissibility may also occur because of security reasons, health or financial reasons. To overcome your inadmissibility you will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit also known as a TRP.

For students a work permit is not required if they work on campus at the institution they study at if they are a full-time student at a public post-secondary, i.e. college or university OR a private post-secondary institution that operates with the same rules and regulation as a public institution. Similarly, Students who work off campus may also work without a permit if they qualify. To qualify they must have valid study permit, be a full-time student, be registered at a designated learning institution at the post secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level and be studying in an academic program that leads to degree, diploma, or certificate that has a minimum of six months duration.

As it was determined, a work permit may not be needed depending on the situation and conditions. For Caregivers a work permit is required however, for students if the person has met the requirements then they do not need a work permit.

If you would like to get a work permit and have a job offer, please contact us today! At Akrami & Associates, there is Always a Way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • February 8, 2021

    Hiring International Students In Canada

    International students can bring a cultural diversity to a workplace. Are you a Canadian employer looking to hire an international student? Make more of an opening.   Hiring Study Permit Holders International student can still be hired while they are completing their studies. Students may work off campus [...]

  • Different-Types-of-Work-Permi-Canada.jpg

    September 29, 2020

    Different Types of Work Permit for Canada

    Working in Canada Canada encourages and provides many avenues for individuals to support and provide for themselves and their families financially. You can only legally work in Canada while on a valid work permit. In order to provide reasonable support to individuals Canada has many different types of [...]

  • extend-your-work-permit-through-bridging-open-work-permit.png

    February 11, 2020

    Extend your Work Permit through Bridging Open Work Permit

    Bridging Open Work Permit If you are currently on a valid Canadian work permit and wish to continue working but noticed your work permit will be expiring soon then you may be eligible to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Bridging Open Work Permit was put into [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way