5 FAQ on Study Permits

5-FAQ-on-Study-Permits 5 FAQ on Study Permits

Am I eligible for a study permit?

Before applying for a study permit, students must ensure they meet the eligibility requirements and possess the required documentation.

To apply for a Canadian study permit, students must be able to demonstrate the following:

Letter of Acceptance

  • Student must provide a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution, which allows international student to study. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are considered designated learning institutions.

Financial Support:

  • Students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves, and any accompanying family members, throughout their studies in Canada, including living expenses, first year of tuition and travel expenses.
  • Although there is no specific income requirement or proof of fund requirement, students must still provide documentation convincing the officer that they have the financial means to remain in Canada without seeking social assistance.

Ties to Home Country:

  • Students must convince the immigration officer that they will return to their home country upon completion of their studies. How can students demonstrate this? Evidence of family members living in home country, assets, investments and/or other responsibilities which shows the need for you to return back home.

Can I travel outside Canada while on a study permit?

Many students plan to return home for the holidays and summer breaks. It is important to ensure that students can re-enter Canada and continue their studies.

A study permit is a status document which allows you to study inside Canada. A study permit is not a visa or travel document and cannot be used to enter Canada.

To re-enter Canada, students must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). A Temporary Resident Visa is a travel document which allows students to re-enter Canada. Depending on their nationality, not all students require a TRV.  Student may be exempt if their home country is listed as a visa-exempt country. Please note that even if you are from a visa-exempt country, you may still need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you are travelling to Canada via air. Whether you require a TRV or eTA, you must always have a valid passport.

Can I work while studying in Canada?

Many international students decide to remain in Canada during the holidays. So long as students maintain a valid study permit and are enrolled as full-time students, they are eligible to work part-time, for up to 20 hours per week during the semester and on a full-time basis during scheduled breaks (ex. summer break, winter holiday). A valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) is also required.

Upon completion of their studies, students may also be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, which allows students to work in Canada for up to 3 years, depending on the length of the study program.

Important: once your study permit has expired and/or you are no longer attending full-time classes, you can no longer continue working.

Can I study in Canada without a Study Permit?

Yes, but only in specific situations:

Program Length:

  • The length of the study program must be 6 months or less

Minor Children:

  • Parents with Minor Children
  • Parents(s) with valid legal status to either work or study inside Canada are eligible to enroll their minor children in pre-school, primary school or secondary school without obtaining a study permit.

Refugees and Refugee Claimants

  • If you are a minor child and are inside Canada as a refugee or refugee claimant, you are exempt from obtaining a study permit inside Canada. This exception also applies if you are a minor child and your parents are inside Canada as refugees or refugee claimants.

Do I need a new study permit if I switch programs and/or schools?

The first step is to verify whether your study permit specifies the name of the school and/or field of study, including any other conditions listed. If your study permit states the name of your school and/or field of study, then you must inform Immigration Canada and update the study permit if you change schools or programs. This is particularly important. If you fail to update your study permit, you are at risk of breaching the conditions of your study and may be asked to leave Canada. 

If the study permit does not specify the name of the school and/or program, then students may change programs or schools within Canada, so long as they maintain the requirements of their study permit. If students wish to change their level of education (ex. going from high school to college), then they must apply for a new study permit.

Contact Akrami & Associates

If you have further questions or clarifications needed for study permit application then contact Akrami & Associates at 416-477-2545 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Our immigration experts have submitted many successful study permit applications and we can help you too.

We hope to hear from you soon and help you reach your immigration goals.

With Akrami & Associates there is always a way!!

Different Types of Work Permit for Canada
Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://thevisa.ca/

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here