Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

On Canadian Study Permit Can I Work?

On Canadian Study Permit Can I Work?

There are many rules regarding work while you are on a Study Permit. Depending upon your situation, a work permit may, or may not, be required of you. There are four circumstances that may be applicable to your situation

The first is if you wish to work on campus. So you have your study permit and you are enrolled in a post-secondary institution, what can you do? You may work at the school you are enrolled in if you are a full-time college or university student and you have a valid work permit.

If you wish to work off campus, you may do so without a work permit, for twenty hours a week during the regular school year or full-time during school breaks. In order to qualify you must,

  • Hold a valid study permit
  • Be a full-time student
  • Be enrolled in a designated learning institution
  • Be enrolled in a program that is at least six months in length

If your program offers a co-op or internship opportunity, you may wonder what is required of you to participate. Not only must you have a study permit to be eligible to participate in a co-op or intern experience, you must also apply for a work permit. Most requirements are similar to working off campus, however, some additional requirements include,

  • The intended employment must be an integral part of your program
  • The co-op or internship cannot form more than 50% of your total studies

The final situation you may find yourself in is what to do when you have completed your studies. So you have finished school in Canada, what should you do now? In order to work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

This is an overview of the many ways you may work with a study permit. At Akrami & Associates, we can assist you with assessing whether or not you are eligible for any of these options and provide you with any help you may need regarding applications and procedures. Call us today and let a legal representative aid you.

How Do I Get a Temporary Resident Permit for Canad...
How to Apply for Temporary Resident Permit Canada

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here