The Super Visa came into effect in December of 2011. Eligible applicants may receive a visa that is valid for up to 10 years and will let you visit your family in Canada for up to two years without renewing your status.
The Super Visa will allow applicants to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without having to renew their status.
In order to qualify as the applicant, you must:
- Be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Provide a written commitment of financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada, including proof that the child or grandchild meets the minimum necessary income (Low Income Cut-Off)
- Undergo the Immigration Medical Examination
- Submit proof that they have purchased comprehensive Canadian medical insurance, valid for at least one year
- Satisfy the visa officer that they meet all other standard admissibility criteria
The other standards of admissibility criteria that you will have to meet are:
- your ties to your home country,
- the purpose of your visit,
- your family and finances,
- the overall economic and political stability of your home country,
- an invitation from a Canadian host.
In addition to the above, you will also need to include proof that you have private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year from a Canadian insurance company and that:
- covers health care, hospitalization and repatriation,
- provides a minimum coverage of $100 000, and
- is valid for each entry to Canada and be available for review by a port of entry officer.
An application for a Super Visa is basically a two tiered effort between you, as the applicant, and the child inviting you to Canada. They will have to provide you some of this documentation while you prepare the remaining documents yourself.
Temporary resident visas such as the Super Visa category are easier said than done. Aside from satisfying an officer that you meet the basic requirements, the applicant will also need to demonstrate ties to their home country. Many of our clients have come to us seeking help in this regard.
Further, the person inviting you will also need to meet a minimum necessary income respective to their family size and amount of people they intend to invite.