Work permits for Students Questions and Answers

Questions and Answers for Work permits for Students

In this article, I will address questions and answers for work permits for students, as there are several different work permit options available. This question and answer article is intended for you to further understand what a work permit for a student entails. A work permit is intended for foreign nationals who wish to come to Canada to pursue a career or a job opportunity; in this case, work permits for students are job opportunities for students who are on a study permit initially. If you feel as though you would be eligible to apply for a work permit as a student, I suggest you read our article on “Post-Graduate Work Permit in Canada” and “On and Off Campus Work Permit Eligibility” before reading this question and answer article. This article is intended to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion with regards to a work permits for students.

Q: If I am an international student, am I allowed to work while studying?

A: This is a very important and common question to ask. If you meet specific criteria and also if it is indicated on your study permit that you are permitted to work while studying, then yes, you will be able to work while you study. Additionally, you may also be eligible to work in Canada while studying or even after you graduate. Being a study permit holder, if it is indicated on your study permit that you are allowed to work, you may either work on-campus or off-campus without an additional work permit. After you graduate from a designated learning institution, you may apply for a post-graduate work permit to continue working in Canada.

Q: Can international students participate in co-op and internship programs?

A: Whether you can participate in co-op and internship programs entirely depends on what type of designated learning institution you are currently enrolled in. Specifically, if you are in an academic, professional or vocational training program that involves work experience, such as an internship placement or co-op, then you must obtain a work permit as well as a study permit. Furthermore, in order to successfully obtain a work permit, you must demonstrate that the work experience you will gain is mandatory for the completion of your program. In order to prove this, you may provide a letter from the educational institution or a copy of the program curriculum. Keep in mind, the work experience gained must not be more than 50% of your intended program. Additionally, if you are a student that is learning English or French in ESL, you will not be eligible to participate in co-op or internship programs.

Q: How do I apply for an off-campus work permit?

A: Many international students in Canada would like to experience the Canadian economy outside of their campus. Therefore, they resort to working off-campus. Luckily as of June 1, 2017, international students will no longer need to apply for an off-campus work permit separately from their study permit. If you are currently enrolled at a designated learning institution in an academic, professional or vocational training program, then you may work off-campus without a work permit. Furthermore, your study permit will indicate whether you are permitted to work while you study.

Q: If my study permit states that I am able to work while I study, how often can I work?

A: This is a very important question as it is essential that you recognize and understand the conditions set out in your study permit, especially with regards to working. If your study permit indicates that you are permitted to work while you study, you may work up to 20 hours a week while your program is in session. On the other hand, while you are on regular scheduled breaks, such as winter break, then you will be able to work full-time during those times. Additionally, you may be able to work for any Canadian employer in Canada, so long as they are not on the ineligible employer list.

Q: How do I know if I qualify for a post-graduate work permit?

A: There is a very simple way to determine whether you qualify for a post-graduate work permit. In order to be eligible for a post-graduate work permit, you must have graduated from a recognized designated learning institution. The list of designated learning institutions includes universities, colleges, and many other educational institutions. If you have graduated from one of these institutions, then you may qualify for a post-graduate work permit.

Q: Am I able to apply for a job before I receive my post-graduate work permit?

A: Technically, yes you can apply for a job before you receive your post-graduate work permit. However, before you commence your work, you must have a valid post-graduate work permit. If you start working before you receive it, you would essentially be working illegally and can be subject to removal from Canada. Therefore, it’s better to wait for the permit to arrive.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for a work permit as a student, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own, if you are unfamiliar, and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped many of our clients that are international students obtain employment while they study. If you believe that you may be eligible, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way