Can I work off-campus with a study permit?

This is one of the most common questions we get, and the simple answer to this question is, yes. Nonetheless, there are certain requirements you need to fulfill in order to qualify

  • Firstly, you would be required to have a valid study permit.

  • Secondly you would have to be enrolled full time in a post secondary institution that is listed under the Designated Learning Institution list (DLI).

  • Additionally, the program you are enrolled in must lead to a degree, diploma or certificate.

  • The program should be longer than 6 months. If you quality, you do not need a work permit to work off-campus in Canada.

However, usually you would only be allowed to work on a part time bases during your regular academic session. You would be allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week, but you may work full time during your official breaks in the academic year. The breaks include all the summer, winter or spring breaks. You may also be required to get a confirmation document from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada in order to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A SIN is required to work in Canada. In order to get a confirmation document, you would be required to provide a list of documents, which is essentially to prove that you have met all the necessary requirements, and therefore qualify to work off- campus in Canada.

Latest Immigrations News

  • January 4, 2021

    Extending your stay in Canada

    About Extending your stay in Canada You crossed all your T’s and dotted all your I’s. You’re in Canada and are looking for ways to extend your stay. Continue reading below for ways to do so. When you first enter Canada as a visitor, you’re required to have [...]

  • 5-FAQ-on-Study-Permits.jpg

    September 14, 2020

    5 FAQ on Study Permits

    Am I eligible for a study permit? Before applying for a study permit, students must ensure they meet the eligibility requirements and possess the required documentation. To apply for a Canadian study permit, students must be able to demonstrate the following: Letter of Acceptance Student must provide a [...]

  • Study_Permit_Canada_And_Covid-19.jpg

    July 17, 2020

    Overseas Study Permit Applications and COVID-19

    Overseas Canadian Study Permit & COVID-19 Do you have a valid study permit issued to you by Citizenship and Immigration Canada? Are you currently outside of Canada? If you are outside of Canada and have an approved valid study permit it is important to know that the federal [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way