Do I Need An Authorization To Return To Canada


If you have received a removal order from Canada, then you need and Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) in order to come back into Canada.

Three Types of Removal Order

Departure Order

A person who receives a departure order would be told to leave Canada within 30 days. If a person leaves Canada within that time period and verified their departure with a Canadian Immigration Officer at the port of exit then they do not need an Authorization to Return to Canada ARC for future. They can simply return after a normal examination at the port of entry. However, if the person left Canada without verifying their departure or after the 30 day deadline then the departure order becomes a deportation order and would require an ARC to re-enter Canada. A departure order is issued for a less serious violation of immigration law.

Exclusion Order

Exclusion order is different from departure order as it bars a foreign national from returning to Canada for a specified period of time, either for one year or for two years. The one year ban is generally issued when a foreign national has committed a minor offence such as trying to enter at a port of entry with incomplete documentation. The two year ban is reserved for more serious offences. If the person with an exclusion order remained outside of Canada for the prescribed period of time and has a certificate of departure, then they do not need an ARC. They can return to Canada subject to normal examination at the port of entry. However if the ban period has not passed and they want to return to Canada before or they don’t have a Certificate of Departure, then they need to apply for an ARC.

Deportation Order

The deportation order permanently bars a person from future admission to Canada unless that person obtains written consent of the minister. Deportation may be issued if a person has been found inadmissible in Canada on serious grounds, or the person has committed serious violation of Canadian law, or a departure order was issued which turned into a deportation order. People who received a deportation order must apply for ARC to return to Canada. They would also need to explain as to why they should be allowed into Canada again. If their departure order became the deportation order then they also have to explain why they did not leave in 30 days period. If deportation resulted due to criminal inadmissibility then the individual needs to apply for criminal rehabilitation first. That person may also need a Temporary Resident Permit to be allowed back into Canada.

If the deportation order was made against an accompanying family member of an individual who was found inadmissible, that family member may return to Canada without written authorization.

Contact Akrami & Associates

Removal orders are a complex and difficult area of immigration law. If you are facing this difficult matter we at Akrami & Associates are well equipped to deal with it. Contact us for any further information.

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • Removal-Order-from-Canada.png

    March 26, 2020

    Removal Order from Canada

    Authorization to Return to Canada ARC If you have received a removal order from the government of Canada and wishing to return then you may be eligible to apply for Authorization to Return to Canada. Individuals that get removal order can be either due to: Refugee application refused [...]

  • understaning-removal-orders.jpg

    September 5, 2018

    Understanding Removal Orders

    I have a Removal Order A removal order is a notice from the government informing you that you must leave Canada, and giving conditions on when and how you must do. A removal order is issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or the Canada Border Services [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way