Entering Canada with a Misdemeanor from U.S.A

Having a criminal conviction on your record may be problematic, as it may make it difficult for you to enter Canada. Criminal convictions make you criminally inadmissible to enter Canada, and you may require special permission. In most cases, you will be required to apply in advance for either a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or criminal rehabilitation.

However, on March 1, 2012, Canada made certain policy changes, which make easier for people with minor convictions to enter Canada. The policy changes were implemented under the new Tourism Facilitation Action Plan. The policy changes are directed towards people who have a one minor conviction that they may have long forgotten about. In this case you may be eligible to get a TRP at the Canadian port of entry.

To get the TRP at the port of entry you have to satisfy the officer of the following:

  • You cannot have any other criminal convictions on your record
  • Second, you should not have faced an imprisonment term for that minor conviction.

If the officer sees that you have met the above criteria, then your fee requirement may be waived.

Important note: Meeting the criteria does not guarantee your entry into Canada, as the officer still has the discretion to allow or deny your entry.

If you require any assistance with your TRP application and would like to know what the best option for you is, you can contact us. Our team of experienced professional will be happy to help you.

Latest Immigrations News

  • Overcoming-Inadmissibility-To-Canada-3-Different-Ways-To-Follow.png

    February 22, 2023

    Overcoming Inadmissibility to Canada: 3 Different Ways To Follow

    Canada receives millions of immigration applications every year. Whether an individual wants to visit Canada to meet his/her family or want to study/work there, they must meet all the eligibility requirements. What if you have a criminal conviction that can trigger inadmissibility to Canada? Well, there are ways [...]

  • March 23, 2021

    Removal order from Canada 2021

    You’ve received a Removal Order from Canada. Now what? You cannot legally remain in Canada and must leave the country. Depending on the circumstances you may either have to leave immediately or you may have the chance to appeal. Why you received a removal order?   Those who [...]

  • February 26, 2021

    Entering Canada with a DUI

    Drunk driving charges are processed under many names worldwide, but they all equally have the potential to make you criminally inadmissible to Canada. These charges include, but are not limited to Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), Wet and Reckless (W&R) Reckless Driving, driving without [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way