Giovanni Blog

Giovanni Blog about Canadian Immigration matters.

Entering Canada with a Misdemeanor from U.S.A

Entering Canada with a Misdemeanor from U.S.A

Having a criminal conviction on your record may be problematic, as it may make it difficult for you to enter Canada. Criminal convictions make you criminally inadmissible to enter Canada, and you may require special permission. In most cases, you will be required to apply in advance for either a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or criminal rehabilitation.

However, on March 1, 2012, Canada made certain policy changes, which make easier for people with minor convictions to enter Canada. The policy changes were implemented under the new Tourism Facilitation Action Plan. The policy changes are directed towards people who have a one minor conviction that they may have long forgotten about. In this case you may be eligible to get a TRP at the Canadian port of entry.

To get the TRP at the port of entry you have to satisfy the officer of the following:

  • You cannot have any other criminal convictions on your record
  • Second, you should not have faced an imprisonment term for that minor conviction.

If the officer sees that you have met the above criteria, then your fee requirement may be waived.

Important note: Meeting the criteria does not guarantee your entry into Canada, as the officer still has the discretion to allow or deny your entry.

If you require any assistance with your TRP application and would like to know what the best option for you is, you can contact us. Our team of experienced professional will be happy to help you.

Steps To Hire A Caregiver
Loss of Temporary Status – What Can I Do?

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here