Giovanni Blog

Giovanni Blog about Canadian Immigration matters.

Open Work Permit and Immigration Application

Open Work Permit and Immigration Application

Can you work or study in Canada if your application is being processed?

Well, like everything else within the immigration process in Canada there is a procedure that will take place. While you are waiting for your Immigration Visa, yes, you will be able to work or study in Canada.

You will be able to do so once the Sponsorship Application has in principle been approved by Immigration Canada. Once it has been approved you will be granted either an Open Work Permit or a Study Permit.

What if you are already in Canada?

If you are already in Canada on a valid Work Permit or a Study Permit then you may continue your work or your studies.

How long will the Work Permit/Study Permit be valid for?

Usually, either the Open Work Permit or the Study Permit that you have been granted will be valid for the time that it takes to process your application to be sponsored. However, it is not a guarantee that it will be and each situation is always different.

How are you eligible to obtain an Open Work Permit?

In the situation of Family Sponsorship the Open Work Permit will of course be attached to another application. When you have submitted a Spousal Sponsorship application/Family Sponsorship Application you may be qualified for an Open Work Permit. This will happen once the application has been approved in principle, which means that the application has been assessed and it is deemed to be eligible.

Do all applications receive approval in principle?

No, if your application has been approved in principle you will receive notification from Canadian Immigration letting you know. If you are one of the lucky ones that does receive it, you will be required to prove that you did in order to obtain the Open Work Permit.

What exactly is an Open Work Permit?

An Open Work Permit in this case is one where it will allow you to work for any employer that you would like within Canada while your Sponsorship Application is being processed.

How can you qualify for an Open Work Permit/Study Permit?

There are several different ways in which you can qualify for an Open Work Permit. Some of these ways are:

  • If you are currently already working in Canada and your Permanent Residence application was approved under any of the programs listed below then you may qualify:
  • Spouse or Common Law Partner in Canada classFamily Class Sponsorship
  • Live in Care giver program
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds

How are we able to help you?

Our firm deals with immigration issues on a daily basis. We have staff that have expertise and experience within this field and are always willing to help. Please contact us and let us go over everything that is in your application before you send it in to be submitted. By letting our representatives go over everything it will allow for a less stressful time for you and it can ensure that all of the information needed is obtained from the very beginning. Our goal is to get your family back together, so let us assist you with the process.

Refugee Status
Business Immigration

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here