Giovanni Blog

Giovanni Blog about Canadian Immigration matters.

Work Permit in Canada

Work Permit in Canada

If you are looking to work in Canada and you are foreign national you must obtain work permit in Canada before you starting work unless you have permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen. Applying for work permit can be difficult or can be complicated most people can be confused under which categories should be applying like the following categories;

  • Temporary workers
  • Live in Caregivers
  • Business people
  • Students

These categories mentioned above you must have work permit to work in Canada.

If you need to work in Canada you must make sure you are qualified for one. Whether are not you are Qualified for it or not.

How to apply for work Permit

You can apply for work permit either from inside of the Canada or whether you outside of Canada but each of them could have bit difference in between as explain below:

  • Apply from outside of Canada
    • Anyone may apply for a work permit before they enter Canada. In some cases, you must apply to a visa office outside Canada. This is usually true if you need a visa to enter Canada or if you need to have a medical exam before you come here.
  • Apply from inside of Canada
    • You are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,
    • You have graduated from a program at a Canadian university, Canadian college, CEGEP, Publicly funded trade/technical school or other eligible school.
    • You have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
    • You are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada.
  • Apply as you enter in Canada
    • If you do not need visa to enter Canada
    • You already hold medical certificate, if you need it for your job, and
    • Your employer does not need labour market opinion (LMO) for your job but there some exceptions to it or you already have LMO
  • No matter where you apply, you must:
    • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires,
    • Show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home,
    • obey the law and have no record of criminal activity
    • Not be a danger to Canada’s security,
    • Be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed,
    • Not plan to work for an employer on the list of ineligible employers,
    • Not have worked in Canada for one or more periods that total four years after April 1, 2011 (with some exceptions), and
    • Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Federal Skilled Worker Program Work Experience
Super Visa for Canada

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here