Temporary Entry vs. Dual Intent

Dual Intent:

The Dual Intent means you have two intentions, meaning are coming to Canada as a temporary resident but you also want to apply for permanent residence.

For instance, you get married to a person who lives outsides Canada and you want to sponsor him or her as a permanent resident but who also want them to be able to visit Canada while their permanent residence is in process. Hence, dual intent; you are applying for something temporary but at the same time have permanent intentions in Canada.

Temporary Entry:

Temporary entry means you are entering Canada but you have no intention to live in Canada permanently. Basically temporary entry means that you have come to Canada for a temporary stay and are residing in Canada for the validity of that status. For instance, visitors, students and workers can enter Canada for a limited time and they must exit Canada at the end of their authorized period of stay.

When you arrive at the port of entry (POE), a visa officer will assess your intended purpose and ultimately has the final say upon your entry into Canada. They can extend or reduce the amount of time you are authorized in Canada or issue you additional status documents if they deem necessary.

If you wish to remain in Canada, you can apply to have your status extended. You can have your temporary visa extended multiple times (more than two or three times) and can remain in Canada until a decision is made on that status.

If your extension request is denied or your status has expired, you can also have it restored within ninety (90) days to prevent remaining illegally in Canada. If you have no other status and your documents have expired, you will be required to exit Canada.

If you have a further question about Dual Intent temporary entry or maintaining your status, give us call. We will explore more options for you and help you achieve your goals.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way