Where and When to Submit Canadian Immigration Application Documents

Documents for Canadian Immigration Application: When and What should I submit?

The timelines for document submission and the documents required vary from one type of immigration visa to the next.

When are you required to submit your supporting documents?

The category you are applying to under Canadian immigration determines when you will be required to submit supporting documentation for your application. The Canadian visa office or processing centre associated with your type of application will also determine the timelines for submitting documents.

The categories and when you should be submitting your supporting documents are as follows:

Federal Skilled Worker / Federal Skilled Trades / Canadian Experience Class

  • In order for you to be considered you will be required to upload all of your documents within 60 day of receiving your Express Entry Invitation to Apply. Because this category is done through the Express Entry system, you will need to provide electronic copies of your supporting documents using a scanner or camera and upload them to your online Express Entry profile.

Family Sponsorship Category

  • For this category there are many documents to submit with your initial application. However, two important documents that have some flexibility are the Police Clearance Certificates and the Proof of a Medical Examination. These two documents are required from the sponsored family member, but they can be submitted later. When Citizenship and Immigration Canada gets to that stage of processing in the application, they will notify the applicant that he or she should send along their Police Clearance Certificate and Proof of Medical to continue.

Start Up Business Class / Self-Employed Persons / Provincial Nomination Program

  • For this category most documents must be submitted with your initial application. Police Certificates and Clearances are recommended to be submitted with the initial application, but this is flexible. If necessary, because this type of document is only valid for 1 year, the Centralized Intake Office will accept Police Certificates later in the application process (they will request them from the applicant).

Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program

  • All of your supporting documents for this category will be required to be submitted upon applying.

In what language should your supporting documents be submitted in?

Spanning across all Canadian immigration visa categories, supporting documents must be in one of Canada’s two official languages: English or French. If you are unable to provide certain documents in either English or French, they will need to be accompanied by an English or French translation from a certified translator.

How can an immigration representative help you?

At Akrami and Associates we have what it takes to help you with whatever immigration program you are applying under by having our firm go over your documents and guide you through the application process it will ensure that you have the best possible application. We can make sure that everything is included and organized in a way that will make the process a lot less stressful for you.

What Documents do you need to have to Support Your Application for Permanent Residence?

The documentation that you will be required to submit depends on what category of Canadian immigration you are applying under. Read on to find out what supporting documents are required for each category.

Federal Skilled Worker / Federal Skilled Trades / Canadian Experience Class

As all of these programs are now under the online Express Entry system, they have similar requirements for documentation. After creating an Express Entry profile and receiving an Invitation to Apply, you will have 60 days in which to upload all of the required supporting documentation. Every applicant will get a personalized document checklist tailored to their profile, country of origin, etc.

Below is a more generalized list of required supporting documentation for the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades, and Canadian Experience Class streams:

  • All completed application forms
  • A copy of your passport or travel document
  • Language test results (IELTS, CELPIP, or TEF)
  • A valid written job offer from a Canadian employer for continuous, paid, full-time work (if you have one)
    • For Federal Skilled Workers and Canadian Experience Class, the job must be skill type 0 or skill level A or B from the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
    • For Federal Skilled Trades Workers, the job must be in a skilled trade occupation from the NOC
    • Any job offer must be either: from an employer that obtained a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or you are already working for the employer on a valid work permit and they have offered you a full-time job if you become a permanent resident
  • Proof that you have enough financial resources to support yourself and your dependents in Canada for at least one year after arrival (this requirement does not apply in all cases)
  • An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
    • This is mandatory if you are under the Federal Skilled Worker Program and your education was outside of Canada
    • If you were given points for foreign education in your initial Express Entry profile
  • Proof of a Medical Exam from a Panel Physician (a doctor recommended by Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
  • Police Certificates or Clearances from any country you lived in for over 6 months since the age of 18
  • Any other required documentation listed on your personalized document checklist

Family Sponsorship Category

This is a very broad category and the required documentation is influence by the applicant’s country of origin and what type of family member is being sponsored. These applications are still paper-based and must be mailed to the appropriate Canadian Visa Office or Case Processing Centre.

Below is a more generalized list of required supporting documentation for the Family Sponsorship Category:

  • All completed application forms for both the Sponsor and the Applicant
  • Copy of the sponsor’s identification document (for example, Canadian passport, PR card, or birth certificate)
  • Copy of the applicant’s identification documents (passports with travel dates and birth certificates)
  • Proof that you can meet the sponsorship undertaking
    • The undertaking length depends on the type of family member
    • Documents like a Notice of Assessment are helpful in proving financial stability
  • Proof of your relationship to the sponsored family member (for example, marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc.)
  • Police Certificates and Clearances from any countries the applicant has lived in for 6 months since the age of 18
  • Proof of Medical Exam from a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Panel Physician (for the applicant)

Start Up Business Class / Self-Employed Persons / Provincial Nomination Program

Below is a general list of required supporting documentation for the Start Up Business Class, Self-Employed Persons, and Provincial Nomination Program.

  • Travel documents and passports
  • Language Proficiency test results that show your ability in the 4 skills of either English or French (could be IELTS, CELPIP, or TEF)
  • Police Certificates and Clearances from any country lived in for over 6 months since the age of 18
  • For spouse / children: documents that prove your relationship, identification documents, and passports

Beyond these shared documents, these 3 application streams have their own specific requirements. For example, Provincial Nomination Program applicants will have specialized document checklists depending on which province they are applying under. Start Up Business Class applicants will have to show proof of settlement funds. Self-Employed Persons will have to show proof of relevant experience.

The Provincial Nomination Program now has both paper-based and Express Entry options as well. The way you apply for your Provincial Nomination Program will also have an effect on the documents and how they are submitted (for example, scanned copies or originals).

Is there any supporting document that is required for all of the categories of Canadian immigration?

Beyond the obvious passport and personal identification documents, one thing that is eventually required by all permanent resident applicants under a Canadian immigration visa program is the Police Clearance Certificate.

Should you seek an Immigration Representative’s assistance?

While it is not necessary to apply, getting professional assistance from a Canadian immigration lawyer or Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant will help to ensure that you are submitting the best application possible. If you are taking the next big step and trying to establish a life in Canada, it doesn’t hurt to make sure that all of your forms and supporting documentation are correct and well organized.

How can we help you?

At Akrami and Associates we are extremely dedicated to helping you achieve your goal of living in Canada. We have experience with all types of applications and documents related to Canadian immigration. Contact us today and let us show you how we can help.

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way