Will Bridging Open Work Permits Continue Under Express Entry?

Can you bridge your Open Work permit?

Yes, Open Work Permits will continue during the Express Entry process. However, you will have to receive an approval-in-principle of your application before you will be able to apply for the Work Permit.

The approval-in-principle will just simply outline all of the terms and conditions that will be in connection of this process.

Why would you bridge your Open Work Permit?

If you are to bridge your Open Work Permit that is about to expire, it will allow you to keep working while waiting on a final outcome during the Express Entry process.

How do you know if you are eligible to bridge your Open Work Permit?

In order to be able to bridge your Open Work Permit during the Express Entry Program you must:

  • Currently already be in Canada
  • Have a valid status on a work permit that is going to expire within 4 months
  • Receive confirmation that your Permanent Resident application is acceptable under at least 1 of the Economic Class programs, and;
  • Show that you have made an application for an Open Work Permit

The only way that you will be issued a bridging Open Work Permit is if you requested one. Unless it is specified that you want one, you will not receive one.

Who is able to receive an Open Work Permit?

In order to obtain an Open Work Permit, you will need to apply under one of the Canadian Permanent Resident classes. Examples of the classes are:

  • Live-in Caregiver
  • Spouses and/or Common-law Partners in Canada class
  • Protected Persons, etc.

If you have an Open Work Permit you may not be required to have a Labour Market Opinion or even a job offer to support it.

What are the benefits?

Some of the main benefits of Bridging Open Work Permits under Express Entry are as follows:

  • Allows you to maintain your status while you are waiting
  • Allows you to continue working through the Express Entry process
  • Avoids unnecessary request to Human Resources
  • Your process remains as efficient as possible

What does all of this mean for your spouse, common-law partner or dependant?

If certain conditions are met by you, your spouse or common-law partner may also be able to apply for an Open Work Permit.

In order for a dependant to apply for a Work Permit, they must obtain either a Labour Market Impact Assessment OR an exemption based on your specific situation.

If you have any questions or concerns about any of this process our staff is experienced and are always willing to help. If there is anything that we can assist you with in order for you to be successful please contact us and let us know.

Latest Immigrations News

  • February 8, 2021

    Hiring International Students In Canada

    International students can bring a cultural diversity to a workplace. Are you a Canadian employer looking to hire an international student? Make more of an opening.   Hiring Study Permit Holders International student can still be hired while they are completing their studies. Students may work off campus [...]

  • Different-Types-of-Work-Permi-Canada.jpg

    September 29, 2020

    Different Types of Work Permit for Canada

    Working in Canada Canada encourages and provides many avenues for individuals to support and provide for themselves and their families financially. You can only legally work in Canada while on a valid work permit. In order to provide reasonable support to individuals Canada has many different types of [...]

  • extend-your-work-permit-through-bridging-open-work-permit.png

    February 11, 2020

    Extend your Work Permit through Bridging Open Work Permit

    Bridging Open Work Permit If you are currently on a valid Canadian work permit and wish to continue working but noticed your work permit will be expiring soon then you may be eligible to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Bridging Open Work Permit was put into [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way