Canada has recently introduced the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). This program exists based on agreements that exist between the provinces and the federal government. Essentially, the process is two steps. You first apply to a provincial program in order to obtain a provincial nomination. If you are successful in this, you will use this nomination to apply for permanent residence status through the federal government, Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Each province has their own criteria and different program types.
In order to be eligible for the Alberta Skilled Worker Stream of the Alberta Immigration Nomination Program (AINP), as the applicant, you must:
- Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
- Have related education, training, previous work experience, and any Alberta licensing needed for the position and to meet AINP criteria.
- Provide a copy of your valid work permit if you are already working in Alberta.
- Provide proof of your legal status in your country of residence only if you are not currently working in Alberta (you are living abroad).
- Meet additional criteria if your occupation is one of the following:
- Early childhood educators and child care staff
If your employment is related to early childhood education, you must also:
- Hold a work permit under the NOC code 4214 and be residing in Alberta
- Have completed a minimum of high school education
- Be certified as a Child Development Worker (Level 2) or Child Development Supervisor (Level 3) through Alberta Human Services - Child Care Staff Certification Office.
- Be employed in Alberta for a minimum of six (6) months with a pre/accredited daycare program or family day home agency before applying to the AINP
Along with these criteria, you need to make certain that you are also applying under an eligible occupation. Occupations that are ineligible for the program include:
- Supervisors, foremen and tradespeople, working in a Compulsory or Optional Trade in Alberta (including Chefs, Cooks, and Line Cooks)
- Compulsory and Optional Trades are eligible under the Strategic Recruitment Stream, Compulsory and Optional Trades Category. Optional Trades may also be eligible under Alberta Work Experience Category.
- Clergy, Elementary and Secondary School Teachers, Professional Athletes and Dental Laboratory Bench Workers
- Semi-Skilled Workers NOT in an eligible AINP industry or occupation
- Refugee claimants or Live-in Caregivers currently living in Canada
- Temporary Foreign Workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta
Tags: Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program AINP Provincial Nominee Program PNP Economic Class Canadian Permanent Residence Canadian Immigration Provincial Nominee Program Alberta Skilled Worker Category AINP