Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Documents needed for a Work Permit

What is a Work Permit?

A Work Permit is a piece of documentation that allows you to work in a certain country. In order to obtain a Work Permit, the individual must already have a Canadian job offer on the table. The job must be from a Canadian employer. There are several steps when applying for a Work Permit. The employer must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and be approved.

Secondly, the employer must offer the job with which the individual can apply for a Work Permit.

Lastly, the Work Permit will be issued by an immigration officer. Depending on the individual’s country of citizenship, the individual might have to obtain a temporary resident visa for this period of time as well in order to enter Canada.

A Temporary Resident Visa is a visitor’s visa. A Temporary Resident Visa is a visa that allows you to enter and stay in Canada for a certain period of time. It is what you would apply for if you are visiting Canada. In other words, you are only entering for a temporary period of time. The Temporary Resident Visa can be cancelled by an officer at any time and once you leave Canada, the permit is no longer valid unless you have been allowed to leave and re-enter.

Necessary Documents for Work Permit

  • The necessary forms;
  • Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (IMM 5802) with proof of payment by the employer (receipt number). Your employer should provide it to you.
  • A copy of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) provided by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), if applicable, AND a copy of your job offer letter from your prospective employer.
  • A copy of the nomination letter issued by the province or territory that nominated you, if you are requesting a LMIA exemption. If it has expired, you must also provide a copy of the acknowledgement letter confirming that CIC received your application for permanent residence before the nomination expired.
  • Proof indicating you meet the requirements of the job being offered.
  • If working in Quebec provide evidence of a valid Certificate d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ).Fee payment in an acceptable format. Please ensure to include the application processing fee and, if applicable, the biometric fee. Verify acceptable methods of payment with the Visa office responsible for your area.
    • Note: Visa offices do not accept payment receipts from Canadian banks.
  • Original valid passport only if you require a temporary resident visa (TRV). Your passport must include a blank page other than the last page OR
  • Photocopy of the information page of your passport if you do not require a temporary resident visa (TRV) which includes:
    • the passport number,
    • the issuance and expiry dates,
    • your photo, name, date and place of birth
  • Two photos meeting the requirements
  • Photocopy of your current immigration document, if applicable. (e.g. study permit, Work Permit or temporary resident permit)
  • Proof of funds available.
  • Any additional documents required by the responsible visa office.
  • Optional: proof of completion of the upfront medical examination from the Panel Physician

Overall, the main point is that without a Work Permit, an individual cannot legally work in Canada. If someone were to come to Canada and work illegally, they would get deported and probably never let back into the country again.

No matter how and for what reason you originally came to Canada with, you are not allowed to work here unless you obtain a Work Permit. Obtaining a Work Permit only allows you to work in Canada, it does not allow you to enter Canada. You must have a valid visa to enter Canada, such as a Temporary Resident Visa.

Some of these applications may get a little confusing, an immigration law firm is be able to handle these stressful and confusing situations for you. Akrami & Associates is a great firm determined in helping their clients achieve success. Call us today!

Can you file your own Immigration Application?
What are Lower and Higher skilled Occupations And ...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here