Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

How to Apply for an Open Work Permit For Your Spouse

How to Apply for an Open Work Permit For Your Spouse

An open work permit is a work permit that does not require any job offer or LMIA. It simply allows an individual to work in Canada during their stay. You may be eligible for an open work permit if:

  1. You are already in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence and have been approved either under:
  • spousal or common law partner in Canada class
  • live-in caregiver program
  • federal skilled worker program
  • Canadian experience class
  • provincial nominee program
  • federal skilled trades program
  • humanitarian and compassionate grounds
  • a family member of someone who’s application for permanent residence has been approved for one of the listed programs

    2. Your spouse is either a skilled worker under the National Occupation Classification or a foreign student.

    3. You are in Canada under a federal/provincial agreement, such as an active pilot project or are the spouse of dependent of that individual.

  1. You have a temporary resident permit valid for a minimum of six months
  1. You are taking part in the Canada World Youth Program or International Experience Canada.
  1. You have filed a refugee claim in Canada and are waiting on a response and cannot pay for basic needs without working.
  1. Your refugee claim has been rejected, but the government of Canada is not removing you from the country yet.
  1. You are a family member of a foreign representative.
  1. You are a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada
  1. You are a professional athlete playing for a Canadian team and need to work to support yourself during this period in time.

As long as you are any of the above, you are eligible to apply for an open work permit. An open work permit can be applied for either from within Canada, outside of Canada, or at the port of entry.

If you are applying for an open work permit from outside of Canada, you would use the regular work permit application and within that application you will specify that it is an open work permit application.

If you are applying from inside of Canada, the application is different. The application you would use in this situation is the application to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada. While filling out this application you will also just be required to check the appropriate box for an open work permit.

If you are looking at applying for an Open Work Permit, please contact us today! At Akrami & Associates, there is Always a Way!

How Do I Sponsor My Parents To Canada?
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) FACT SHEET

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here