Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

How to Apply for Federal Skilled Application

How to Apply for Federal Skilled Application

Application Process:

Foreign national who apply for permanent residence as skilled workers are expected to meet a number of eligibility criteria including the education, skills, work experience, language ability and other qualifications.

Skilled workers are a class of persons selected on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada and who intend to reside in a province other than Quebec.

The requirements that must be met as a skilled worker include:

  • Possess a minimum of one year of continuous full time, paid work, experience within the past ten years in a management occupation on in an occupation normally requiring university, college, or technical training as set out under skill type 0 to skill level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) matrix.

  • The occupation must not be considered a restricted occupation

  • Must meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark7

  • Take a language test approved by CIC to show the person meets the level of speaking, listening, reading and writing.

  • The person must have a Canadian secondary or post secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report to who Canadian equivalency of foreign education.

There are six selection factors that are considered when assessing a person’s application. The six factors are:

  • Applicant’s age

  • Applicant’s work experience

  • Applicant’s English or French skills

  • Applicant’s education

  • A valid job offer (if a person has one)

  • Applicant’s adaptability to Canada

Based on these criteria, the individual is granted points from the Point System. In addition to all these, a person must show that he or she has enough funds to support their arrival into Canada. However this does not apply if the person already has a valid job offer from an employer in Canada or is currently able to legally work in Canada.

Further to all these requirements it is important that the person applying under the federal skilled worker class is admissible in Canada and plans on living outside the province of Quebec.

Since January 2015, federal skilled workers have to apply under the Express Entry system. For applying, have to fill out form online on the CIC website. The Express Entry invitation to apply is valid for 60 days. The forms should be complete with all mandatory fields filled out. Along with the forms all supporting documents must be attached. There is a processing for the person applying along with every member that is included in the family. Other fees that will be included is the Right to Permanent Residence fee which is $490 per person. This fee does not apply to dependent children.

There would also be fees that a person may have to pay to third parties for things such as language testing, medical exam, police checks, Educational Credential Assessments and translation of documents.

Contact Us:

Express Entry is a relatively new system introduced in Canadian Immigration. If you need any information regarding this matter, then don’t hesitate to contact us.

Open Work Permit
How Provinces and Territories use the Express Entr...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here