Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Language Testing and Educational Credential Assessment (ECAs)

How does Express Entry use the information from language tests or an Education Credential Assessment (ECA)?

The information which provided by candidate about himself or herself for the Express Entry profile can be uses in a different ways to assess a candidate. Educational Credential and Assessment (ECA) also check your provide information to see whether you are qualify to get into the Express Entry pool or not. The candidates information can also be used to score them through the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) based on her/his language ability and education. If candidate studied outside the Canada the he or she needs to evaluate his educational credential through ECA which is organized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Do I need to get an Education Credential Assessment (ECA)?

Yes, if candidates studied outside the Canada, the candidates need to get done his/her Education Credential Assessment for Express Entry if they want themselves to be choosing as a Federal Skilled Worker Program. If candidates obtained education from Canada, then they do not educational Credential Assessment.

It is optional for those candidates who want to apply as a Federal Skilled Trades Program or Canadian Experience Class. It is not a requirement but can increase candidate points.

Does an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) mean that an applicant’s professional credentials have been recognized to get a license in a regulated profession?

No, if candidate get done education Credential Assessment then it does not mean that he or she has recognized to obtain a license in a regulated profession. Education Credential Assessment and obtaining License are two different things. The candidate still have to go through the process of obtaining a license in the province or territory where candidate planning to live. Education and work experience are different and for the license candidate have to contact a regulatory authority.

What organization can complete an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) or language test?

Citizenship and Immigration of Canada has authorized three organizations that can evaluate any foreign educational credential:

  • Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Service, Canada

If you are applying:

  • As a specialist physician (NOC 3111) or general practitioner/family physician (NOC 3112), the Medical Council of Canada must do an ECA for your primary medical diploma
  • As a pharmacist (NOC 3131), the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada must do your ECA.

For any other occupation, the candidates can go to the website of CIC and find more information about their profession or candidates can call them up directly obtain information about it.

How much does an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) cost?

The cost and time period of Education Credential Assessment (ECA) is vary occupation to occupation and candidates can go online to the websites of designated organization and find out more information about it.

When will I have to submit my language test results and/or Education Credential Assessment (ECA)?

When applicant fills out his or her information and creates a profile for Express Entry, at that time the applicant have to include the test identifier and test score in the profile. If candidate obtain education outside Canada, then candidate has also provide the report from ECA which shows candidate credential assessment is equivalent to Canadian education. The candidate needs to provide report reference number and by this reference number CIC can verify given information from that particular organization if candidate is invited to apply for permanent residence.

If candidate has not received his/ her language test score or ECA results at the time of creating profile, the candidate should have to update his/her profile when he/she receives them.

For Federal Skilled Worker Program candidate must need ECA but Federal Skilled Trades Program and Canadian Experience Class ECA is optional.

If the candidates get an ITA then CIC might need more information about their test results or report to process their application for permanent residence.

If candidate provides any false information then candidate will find inadmissible on the grounds of misrepresentation and on the top of it candidate cannot apply for permanent residence status for next five years.

How long are language test and Education Credential Assessment (ECA) results valid for?

Language test results are valid for 2 years and Education Credential Assessment (ECA) results are valid for 5 years but both of them have to be valid at the time of Express Entry application is submitted.

Requirements For In-Home Caregivers
Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Progr...

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here