Shabnam Akrami Blogs

Shabnam Akrami is the Managing Partner and Founder of Akrami & Associates.

Young Foreign Nationals Working in Canada

Young Foreign Nationals Working in Canada

Work and Travel to Canada as a Youth

Canada is one of the most popular countries that a foreign national can dream of traveling to. Not only that, many people want to experience different cultures while gaining work experience in Canada. Do you want to make this dream come true? Well……the Canadian Government has heard your voices! The Canadian Government has a program named International Experience Canada (IEC), which is designed to help young foreign nationals work in Canada. If this sounds confusing to you, don’t worry. In this blog, you will learn about the International Experience Canada program, so that you may be able to work and enjoy beautiful tourist spots that Canada has to offer.

Eligibility for International Experience Canada (IEC)

If your country of origin has an agreement with the Canadian government, then you may be eligible for one of the three IEC programs. There are three IEC programs are:

· the Working Holiday program

· the Young Professionals program

· the International Co-op Internship program

The Working Holiday Program

If you choose the working holiday program, you are essentially applying for an open work permit to allow them to work while they are in Canada. An Open Work Permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada. This program is ideal for those who wish to travel to Canada, but need to stay employed along the way.

The Young Professionals Program

Unlike the working holiday program the work permit you receive under this category is employer-specific. Therefore, this category is more suitable for individuals who have a job offer in Canada that will contribute to their career development. In order to be considered a contribution to your professional development, the type of job you take in Canada must be a job which falls under National Occupational Classification (NOC) type 0, A or B. Furthermore, it is important to know, you cannot be self-employed under this category; you must be paid by the employer.

The International Co-op Internship Program

Similar to the Young Professionals Program, applicants are applying for an employer specific work permit under the International Co-op (Internship) category. To apply for this category, the internship you intend to pursue must be related to your field of study. In addition to this, it also must be classified as a National Occupational Classification (NOC) Type 0, A or B. Therefore, this category is best suited for students who have registered at a post-secondary institution, or individuals who have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada, or, those who are required to complete a work placement to complete their studies. Also, because this is a closed work permit, you must work for the same employer the entire time you are working in Canada.

How Do I apply for one of these Programs

Once you determine the work program that you are eligible for, you must create a free International Experience Canada online profile. This profile can be submitted to any “pools” or programs you are eligible for, and wish to apply for. To be clear, this does mean you can submit more than one profile to more than one pool, if you are eligible for more than one category. There is one pool of eligible candidates per country and per category. Once your profile is in the pool, you will be assessed by the IRCC, and you may receive an invitation to apply. You must receive an invitation to apply before you apply for the work permit. That said, after you receive an invitation to apply, you can then apply for a work permit to facilitate your stay in Canada lawfully.

What happens if I receive an Invitation to Apply

Getting an invitation to apply does not mean you will automatically get a work permit. This is a separate application process. To get a work permit, you’ll have to prove that the information you listed on your IEC profile is congruent with your documents. Other than that, you also need to provide additional information with respect to your education, work history and background. Sometimes, the IRCC will also request additional supporting documents from you. At that point, you will need to comply with the IRCC and be prepared to provide the requested documents. It is highly recommended you start gathering necessary documents for your work permit application in advance, so that you are prepared when you receive an invitation to apply.

Contact Akrami and Associates

Should you have any further questions or feel confused or unclear about how to apply for the International Experience Canada program, it is important to talk about any questions you may have and discuss your concerns. By talking to immigration professionals about your concerns, this will ease your worries and assist with the application process. Many immigration applications are difficult to pursue on your own and it is highly recommended that you seek out professional and experienced help before attempting to apply. Here, at Akrami & Associates, we work and have experience with many different immigration issues. We have helped our clients apply and participate in the International Experience Canada program. If you believe that you may be eligible for either, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advise.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Minor Children Can Study in Canada
Questions and Answers for Temporary Resident Visas

Related Posts


By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Book a Consultation with Akrami & Assocaites

Book a Consultation Session!

One of our Representative will assist you with your matter. Book Now!

Call Akrami & Assocaites

Call or Email us for more Information!

+1-416-477-2545 | Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Write to Akrami & Assocaites

Write Us (Online Form)

Leave us your information and one of our Representative will contact you. Click here