The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is designed to target immigrants who are ready to support Alberta’s economic growth. There are many streams to this program:
- Employer Driven Stream
- Strategic Recruitment Stream
- Family Stream
- Self-Employed Farmer Stream
Each stream is unique and has different criteria. Determining which is best for you will be the first step to deciding whether or not Alberta is the right province for you.
What Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program stream is right for me?
When deciding which stream is best for you, examining the criteria for each is the best way to get a broad sense of what will be required of you.
Employer Driver Stream
- Aimed at Alberta employers who wish to retain a foreign worker on a permanent, full time bases where they are unable to locate a suitable Albertan or Canadian for the position
- Candidates must have a valid permanent, full time job offer from an Alberta employer prior to submitting an application and wish to reside in Alberta permanently
- This stream is further broken down into three sub categories:
- Skilled Worker Category
- International Graduate Category
- Semi-Skilled Worker
Strategic Recruitment Stream
Aimed at filling skill shortages that currently exist in Alberta, under this category, you may not require a valid job offer from an Alberta employer. This stream is broken down into two sub categories:
- Compulsory and Optional Trades – For those with an Alberta Qualification Certificate in a trade as outlined by the province
- Engineering Occupations Category – For those who have credentials as an engineer, designer or drafter as well as work experience in Alberta
Unfortunately, to coincide with the recent changes to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, as of April 30, 2013, this program was permanently closed.
Self Employed Farmer Stream
This stream targets previously established and experienced farmers who wish to immigrate, purchase and manage a farming business in Alberta.
- You must have proof of your farm management skills
- You must also have sufficient financial resources to run a successful farming operation
- You must invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta
Alberta offers a diverse rural setting with a growing economy. If Alberta is right for you, there are many options available to you. If not, perhaps another province has what you are looking for.