Shabnam Akrami Blogs
Express Entry: Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Requirements
What is the purpose of an ECA?
The ECA is used in order to verify that the credentials you hold are valid and equal to those in Canada.
Is an ECA required by all applicants?
An Educational Credential Assessment is required if you are planning on entering into the Express Entry Pool and your intent is to be considered in the draw under the Federal Skilled Worker. If your spouse or common-law partner wishes to come with you to Canada under this program they will also need to complete the ECA in order to be considered.
If you have attended post-secondary education in Canada then it may not be a requirement for you.
When are you are not required to complete the ECA?
If you are planning to apply to the Federal Skilled Trades Program or the Canadian Experience Class then completing an ECA would be optional for you
By completing an ECA however, it may have the ability to increase your points that you will receive through the Comprehensive Ranking System and in turn improve your chances of being drawn from the pool.
What are the educational requirements?
In order for you to meet the educational requirements upon application you must have:
- A Canadian diploma, certificate or credential; or,
- A foreign educational credential as well as an Educational Credential Assessment that is equal to a complete Canadian secondary or post-secondary education
What points are you eligible for and how does the point system work?
Education Level Maximum Points Available
University degree at PhD level 25
University degree at Masters level 23
2 or more Canadian post-secondary degrees/ 22
Diplomas (one MUST be a minimum of a 3 year program)
1 Canadian post-secondary degree/diploma 21
In a 3 year program
Canadian post-secondary degree/diploma 19
In a 2 year program
Canadian post-secondary degree/diploma 15
In a 1 year program
Canadian high school diploma or the equivalent 5
What must your ECA include?
There are certain items that need to be clearly set out on your ECA at the time of your application and they are:
- Proof of your foreign credential (if applicable)
- An issue date that is on or after the date that the particular organization was designated by the CIC
- An issue date that is not older than 5 years from the date your application is received
- It must show that your credential is equivalent to a Canadian one
Is there anything else you should know about the ECA?
There is a chance that you will be able to receive an early feedback in which will tell you how you compare to others in Canada.
What it does NOT guarantee is:
- That you will get a job in your field or at a particular level
- That your work experience and professional credentials are automatically recognized in Canada; and,
- That you will be licensed to a practise in a regulated profession
There is a lot to take in within the requirements of the ECA. If you have any questions or are unsure about anything that is involved in this step please contact one of our representatives and we can ensure that you are on the right track. We have the ability and experience to set you up for the most success possible, while making it easy on you at the same time. At Akrami & Associates, there is Always a Way!
By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://thevisa.ca/