Information You Need to Know to Study in Canada

Why Canada

As you may know, Canadian is a country not only has majestic and extraordinary tourist hotspots, but also has countless opportunities for you to pursue or advance your education. Canadian universities consistently rank among the best in the world. For example, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, and McGill University are all extremely prestigious universities. By studying in Canada, you will gain invaluable memories of your student years and a strong academic background.

Apart from the academics, Canada offers a wonderful, tolerant, and welcoming cross-cultural experience. English and French are two official languages of Canada. By living in Canada, you will gain the opportunity to learn these two languages and to foster a solid network of international connections to last a lifetime.

As you prepare to embark on your Canadian academic adventure, you will indeed need to know many important things prior to planning your studies in Canada. In this blog, you will learn about important information about studying in Canada.

Choosing a School or a Program

In Canada, each province has different rules and regulations. It is important for you to do a proper research before you choose your school or your program. Apart from this, you need to decide which type of school or program you intend to attend. The three major types of school in Canada are listed below:

Primary and Secondary

Schools that teach students up to the grade 12 level are known as primary and secondary schools. Primary usually means grades 1-8 and secondary usually means grades 9-12.


Post-secondary schools refer to colleges, universities, private career colleges, and vocational and technical schools. Please note, each school has its entry requirements. It is also your responsibility to do a proper research for your school.

Language Schools

As previously mentioned, the official languages of Canada are French and English. Many schools in Canada teach English or French as a second language. That being said, you may attend a language school to improve your English or French in Canada.

Applying for a Study Permit

After you have decided your program/school, you will need to determine whether or not you need a study permit to study in Canada. Most foreign students do, but there are some exceptions. If you to need to apply for a study permit, you will need to obtain the following documents to submit with your application:

1. A letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). A designated learning institution is a post-secondary school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions as well.

2. Proof that you have enough funds to support your stay in Canada. You will need to provide a proof that you have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000, and a proof that you’ve paid the tuition fees for your first year of study.

3. Proof that you will return to your country of origin at the end of your studies. This can be done by showing you have strong ties to your home country which will ensure you return.

Needless to say, you need to be admissible to Canada if you want to study and live in Canada. To do this, immigration officers may request a proof of your medical exam and a Police Clearance Certificate. Along with this, an immigration officer has the right to request almost anything to ensure you will not be a risk to the security of Canadians. In addition, you will need to provide your biometrics. You have up to 30 days to give your biometrics.

Who Does not Need a Study Permit

If you are just studying in Canada for less than six months, you typically do not need a study permit. If you are a family member or staff of foreign representatives, a member of foreign armed forces, or a registered Indians in Canada, you do not need to apply for a study permit, either. Last but not least, you do not need a study permit, if you are a minor child who is :

  • in kindergarten
  • a refugee or refugee claimant
  • the child of refugees or refugee claimants or
  • attending pre-school, primary or secondary school, and is already in Canada with a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada.

Upon your Arrival

When you are about to arrive in Canada, you are expected to be interviewed by an immigration officer. During the interview, you will be asked to present your passport or travel documents. The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you are not an inadmissible foreign student. Last but not least, you will also have to show the officer that you will not remain in Canada after your authorized stay has passed.

Contact Akrami and Associates

If you have always dreamed of studying in Canada, and would like the chance to experience this country in the future, you’ll need to prepare a comprehensive application to ensure Canadian immigration officers do not deny your wish. Study permit applications are difficult to pursue on your own, especially if you are applying for a permit for the first time. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you seek out professional help before attempting to apply. Akrami & Associates have helped many of our clients renew, extend and change their study permits. If you believe that you may be eligible to apply, please feel free to contact Akrami & Associates at our office at 416-477-2545 for more information or if you would like to book a consultation with an immigration professional for more advice.

With Akrami & Associates, there is always a way!

Latest Immigrations News

  • April 10, 2024

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

    Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) Have you ever received a departure, deportation, or exclusion order? If you've been subject to a removal order from Canada, you may require an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) for your return. The necessity of an Authorization to Return to Canada [...]

  • April 2, 2024

    PR – Self Employed

    PR - Self Employed The PR - Self-Employed Persons Program enables individuals to obtain permanent residency in Canada as self-employed individuals. To qualify for this program, applicants must possess pertinent experience in cultural activities or athletics and demonstrate a readiness and capability to make a substantial contribution to [...]

  • April 1, 2024

    Sponsorship Appeal

    Sponsorship Appeal If your family member's application for a permanent residence visa was denied after sponsorship, you have the option to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD). This appeal allows you to present arguments as to why the visa application should be approved, commonly referred to as [...]

Consultation icon

Book a Conslutation

One of our Representatives will
assist you with your matter. Book Now!
Click here

Call us icon

Call us for
more Information

Toll Free: 1-877-820-7121
Click here

Write Us (Online Form)

Complete our form and one of our
Representatives will contact you.
Click here

Akrami & Associates logo element small

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Akrami & Associates logo element

There is always a way